POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Torus pattern suggestion : Re: Torus pattern suggestion Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torus pattern suggestion
From: Ron Parker
Date: 16 Sep 1999 10:39:10
Message: <37e1010e@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:59:38 -0400, Buckaroo Bill wrote:

>Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote :
>>
>> Even there, it's of limited usefulness if it has a fixed major radius.
>>

>    Maybe I don't know what you mean. I was just thinking that I would be
>happy with a major radius of 1 and a minor radius of 1. Everything else can
>be done with density and scale. As long as the density starts at 1 along the
>focus of the minor radius and goes to 0 and stays there.

The problem is that if I want a toroidal density pattern with a major radius
of 1 and a minor radius of .1, I have to scale the pattern by 100 and then
put my entire color map into the range [0 .. 0.001]  That doesn't scale very
well.

>    Isosurface torus pretty much requires a toroidal container which means
>that you cannot combine it with another media in the same container.

Really?  Are you sure?

//------------ cut here --------->8=========
#declare myfun=function{max(0,1-sqrt( y*y + sqr(sqrt(x*x+z*z)-5)))}

sphere { 0,6.1 hollow
  interior { media {
      density {function {myfun}}
      emission .2 intervals 10 samples 5 5