POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : UPD: the world of pov-ray users : Re: UPD: the world of pov-ray users Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:34:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UPD: the world of pov-ray users
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 13 Sep 1999 10:03:39
Message: <37dd043b@news.povray.org>
The "main cities" is one reason I hadn't firmly accounted for
locations before, very few people were said to be using only a city
coordinate so most are likely in surrounding areas.  London seemed to
be where it should have been for example but I was trying to line up a
paper map with a gridless image so the only really alignable cities
would be on a coastline with obvious landmarks.  Also I had only done
that based on the full view of the 3 globes which didn't need much
accuracy anyhow.  From what I've been able to tell everyone should be
within a 1/4 degree, or about 12.5 miles, of there actual location
(possibly as much as 1/2 degree or 25 miles).  But then I've only just
now been able to check according to this more accurate rendering so it
may be better or worse.  I know my marker seems to be less than 10
miles off if at all.  I haven't zoomed in yet on various locales to
further see the precision/inaccuracy.

Bob

news:slr### [at] kuhacclutfi...