POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray goes to the movies : Re: POV-Ray goes to the movies Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray goes to the movies
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 8 Sep 1999 20:47:16
Message: <37d70394@news.povray.org>
Cliff Bowman <c.b### [at] cwcomnet> wrote in message
> reflectivity in them which take several minutes to parse on a 64MB or
> 96MB PC and have been known to fall to single-digit PPS speeds (true,
> sadly).

Well, I hit <1 a few days ago.  That was with adaptive turned off and large
area lights, to see if that was the problem, though.  In general, a long
slow unoptomized trace lets me compare how faster ones look next to it and
choose acceptable settings.  So figure =real= slow for studies of individual
elements, and for the first frame in a scene.  Then much faster for
subsequent frames, as it can reference back to the first to make sure the
quality is consistant and no artifacts appear.