POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What time is it? : Re: What time is it? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What time is it?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 29 Aug 1999 09:04:26
Message: <37d5c602.9079073@204.213.191.228>
On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:40:12 +0930, PoD <pod### [at] merlinnetau> wrote:

>Er. how about something like 'time > time.txt' in DOS/Windoze or 'date >
>time.txt' in *n*x.
>It won't be very portable though.
>
>Cheers, PoD.

This was the first thing that I tried the first time this question was
brought up. Unfortunately the time command expects stdin input. A
simple echo. > time won't work :(

Try this (in a batch file), but first create a file called quote.txt
and only put a " in it. This is untested but should be in the right
direction (the help command won't work for me and I am not sure of the
exact syntax used to concatenate files with the copy command)

@echo off
c:\
cd\
copy command.com temp.tmp
dir temp.tmp > temp.dir
find /i "temp.tmp" temp.dir > temp.tim
copy /a temp.txt /a quote.txt + temp.tim /a + quote.txt /a
del temp.tmp
del temp.dir
del temp.tim
^Z

Then read this temp.txt file in POV and extract the time using the
substr function, as Bob suggests.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700