POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : weird merge : Re: weird merge Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird merge
From: Ron Parker
Date: 6 Sep 1999 22:30:44
Message: <37d478bc.623018958@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 03:17:15 +0200, Remco de Korte
<rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:

>Larry Fontaine wrote:
>>
>> You have coincident surfaces.
>>
>Yes I understand, but I didn't know that mattered. It doesn't for a union.
>Somehow I think your solution, though effective, isn't all that elegant.
>:)

It does matter.  Merge is actually an intersection, believe it or not,

though it's not represented that way internally like difference is.
Nevertheless, anything that's important for an intersection is
important for a merge as well.

merge {object a object b}

is equivalent to (but perhaps a little faster than)

intersection {object {a inverse} object {b inverse} inverse }