POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I model a plastic bin? : Re: How do I model a plastic bin? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I model a plastic bin?
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 6 Sep 1999 16:28:18
Message: <37d423e2@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle <inq### [at] unforgettablecom> wrote in message
news:37D### [at] unforgettablecom...
> Hmm, what are those things called that look like rounded-off cubes?
> Super-something?
>
> Well, anyway, if you can use those in CSG, then your problem is solved:
> Add a tilted one to a straight one, cut off the top at an angle, and
> subtract a smaller version from it to make it hollow inside.
>
> Alternatively, you can get the same effect using boxes, cylinders, and
> spheres. Your CSG code will be a bit more complex, though.

A superellipoid is square, a three-d "round rect".  Cutting the top off at
an angle won't give me the rounding within the edge exposed by that cut.

But that does give me an idea:  make a cube structure (either method) and
then use a matrix scale to shear it.  I'll see what that does for me
shortly.

--John