POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Oval Shape : Re: Oval Shape Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oval Shape
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 2 Sep 1999 03:22:25
Message: <37ce25b1@news.povray.org>
Mr. Art <mr.### [at] gcinet> wrote:
: Point taken. But is there someone out there that can point out the
: places in the code to put the values a and b in something like
: this?

  It's not as easy as "putting the values a and b in this".
  I have been calculating polynomials (man, I wish I got some mathematical
program to help me; typing polynomials by hand is tedious) and it seems
to be impossible.
  If I'm correct, a perfect elliptical torus would require a 8th degree
polynomial (a very simple explanation of this is that it's because the torus
is a 4th degree polynomial and you have to raise it to the power of 2).
Povray can only handle polynomials up to the 7th degree. Bad luck.
  A non-perfect elliptical torus (ie. the minor radius does not stay
constant along the torus) may require only a 6th degree polynomial (note:
this torus is not the same as a scaled torus; the minor radius would be
the same at both axes of symmetry; the radius will differ at the "corners").