POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : lighting help - room edges, area lights, shadows : Re: lighting help - room edges, area lights, shadows Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: lighting help - room edges, area lights, shadows
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 1 Sep 1999 20:31:13
Message: <37cdc551@news.povray.org>
Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote in message
> Try using radiosity -- it has a much greater effect in this situation than
> you'd expect.

I did try it, briefly.  I'm sure I could twiddle the parameters a LOT, but
off hand I saw that it didn't illuminate metal the way I wanted.  When
backlit by the key light, it looked just like a high ambiant -- no curves or
shape visible.

Physically, the other end of the room is a light source, and lambert shading
applies.  And in the case of metal, more spectral highlights are noticable
as well.  Turning up ambiant light levels didn't give the objects any
=shape=, and my try at using radiosity was no different.  Would adjusting
the parameters help with that specific effect?

Also, I may be on the "painting" rather than "photo" side of things, making
it look like the way I see it in my mind, which is not necessarily the way a
camera sees it.  So I need some kind of "modeling light" in localized areas,
as well as the room-edge effect.

More than once I've wished that it was possible to declare that specific
light sources interact only with specific objects.

--John