POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : About Juha's solution for camera positionning(long I'm afraid) : Re: About Juha's solution for camera positionning(long I'm afraid) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:36:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About Juha's solution for camera positionning(long I'm afraid)
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 30 Aug 1999 10:36:20
Message: <37ca96e4@news.povray.org>
Jean Montambeault <jrm### [at] videotronca> wrote:
:>    translate ObjectCenter

:      Here, if you translate that way again, your camera will land in
: the middle of your object, won't it ?

  Nope. The camera will end at the camera location + ObjectCenter. The
look_at, which was at the origin, will end at the object center.

: If I use your method for
: positionning the camera how do I extract the information about the
: vector where it is sitting then ? I need to add it to ObjectCenter to
: keep the same relative point of vue relative to the object. Is there a
: function in POV that will return such a vector ?

  This will do exactly that.
  'translate <vector>' means 'add <vector> to the current location of the
object'. It doesn't mean 'put the object center at <vector>'. Povray
doesn't know what is the center of the object, anyways.

:     If not...well, I've learned lately that one can make a union of
: any object in a scene, even if they don't share any space. So I guess
: that one could make a union of all there is in the scene, find the
: coordinates of the point of interest, translate while reversing the
: signs on the x, y and z values in it so it finds itself at the origin
: point rotate the camera at will using your method and once finished
: put it back in place... I find no major reason for not doing it that
: way if it remains transparent always. Would it ?

  Well, if you _really_ want to do it the hard way... I think that it's
much easier to just translate the camera instead of the whole scene.