POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What time is it? : Re: What time is it? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What time is it?
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 29 Aug 1999 09:11:12
Message: <37c93170@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> Sounds like you also need POV-Ray to start up on it's own. So I guess
> that means setting up the Pov file type to be rendered when "run"
> somehow. Wish I knew the whole answer myself as it would be
> interesting to do.

Unless you chose otherwise at the time of setting up POV, running a .pov
file activates POV-Ray and opens the file. Then the macro program will push
<render>.

> About Dennis (the hurricane), when I was a kid and lived there near
> where you do (Merritt Island and Satellite Beach) it was great to
> experience those things but mighty fearful stuff too. I'll never
> forget the howling air and turbulent ocean. One time we almost never
> got the front door shut after having it open and our neighbors got a
> large corrugated pipe slammed into the front of their house. Great
> stuff to see, even the "eye", if it weren't for the bad side.

    We spent most of yesterday at Port Sebastian watching the edge of the
Hurricane. One of the reasons I asked this question was because I wondered
how far away you can see clouds from... turns out that it is quite far.
Using a correctly scaled earth and correctly located points on the earth, I
was able to see 10 mile spheres from over 150 miles away.

    Using reality to simulate POV I went to the beach. The edge of hurricane
Dennis was clearly visible, but without the knowledge that it was -possible-
to see it I would have just assumed that there were some clouds between me
and it. Having been raised in Florida I can tell when a hurricane is in the
area and for some time before we really felt the wind I was sure I was
seeing the storm.

    I am a hurricane lover and even now that I own property I would rather
have a hurricane than have safety. In fact I have been known to offend
people by expressing the opinion that if a big enough one came we would be
rid of all the condos and might even have a new port down in south Cocoa
Beach.... about where A1A comes back together....>8-}