POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS in PovRay? : Re: NURBS in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS in PovRay?
From: Lance Birch
Date: 26 Aug 1999 08:42:28
Message: <37c53634@news.povray.org>
>The same could be said about bicubic patches, and all we need is tools
>to generate them (SPatch, Moray,...).  Same apply for NURBS.  If they

Good point actually... but NURBS are much more complex.  I don't see a
problem in normal surface generation but if you want to impliment full point
and CV spline -> surface generation things could get tricky.

>The Renderman specifications include NURBS.  RIB files are just text
>files,

It's also a rather large renderer :)  It's not impossible, just a lot of
work.  If someone is willing to work out the spacial and/or
normalised-tension surface generation, by all means :)  I just thought that
maybe the POV-Team might wish to work on media or something like that at the
moment rather than trying to impliment NURBS which would be a rather large
thing to do.

Some interesting ideas though, maybe similar specifications to RIB could be
used in the parsing of NURBSs (the keywords that is).

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind