POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS in PovRay? : Re: NURBS in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS in PovRay?
From: Dave Kreskowiak
Date: 25 Aug 1999 10:52:08
Message: <37c40318@news.povray.org>
Hi all!

Funny you should mention this.  I've been working on molding a 3Com Ethernet
card as closely as possible.  The first images are posted in the p.b.i.
group.  Everything is being modeled using Rhino, piece by piece, positioned
and textured in Moray, then finally rendered in POV-Ray.  The only things I
have done so far are the board, bracket, all screws, activity LED, the
complete AUI connector, and the AUI connector lock.  I still have to do the
Twisted Pair connector and board components as well as the board traces and
writing.  (The last two I don't have any idea how I'm going to do yet!)

Anyway, I guess it would be a good thing to include NURBS support (although
it would probably cause the POV-Team to start charging for POV-Ray!)
Currently the pieces are exported to Moray using Moray's UDO/INC.  This
generates mesh files of pretty considerable size and complexity.  All
objects currently total about 49MB.  Guess which piece generated to biggest
file (by far!).  Like I said, I still have alot of work to do and I estimate
that the total size is going to be around 125MB in exported files.

The stats on the POV rendered models so far include:

    640 x 480, Alias 1 adaptive, No Radiosity
    Peak memory used:  38MB
    Time to parse:   0h 13m
    Time to trace:    2h 38m