POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A birthday, of a sorts ... : Re: A birthday, of a sorts ... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A birthday, of a sorts ...
From: Alan Kong
Date: 23 Aug 1999 22:16:43
Message: <37c2fd13.502869116@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:33:55 -0400, Alberto <ame### [at] mausbve> wrote:

>I was also thinking in
>the history of POV-Ray more in the human point of view. People involved in the
>development of distinct aspects of POV-Ray, telling stories about their mood
>when they were working the details. Stories about the discussion of the
>implementation of new features, the development of the syntax, etc. This could
>be done in the form of articles and interviews. I'm aware that this suggestions
>will demand a lot of work but I think many users and non-users will enjoy it.

  The human side... yeah, it was and is interesting, much of the time. Much
of the discussion is similar to what you might read from the posts in the
povray.programming or povray.unofficial.patches groups. Things like
portability issues might be brought up. Other times, a POV-Team member will
share an interesting e-mail with the others, or direct us to check out a
really novel use for POV-Ray.

  I vaguely recall some discussions that took place when Dieter Bayer began
to implement his vista and light buffers from his FTPOV (FasterThanPOV-Ray)
unofficial patch into the official POV-Ray after he joined the Team.

  Many of the POV-Team members have made an effort to meet up with some of
the others at events such as SIGGRAPH over the years. There used to be a
JPEG or .gif posted in the CompuServe file libraries of (I think) Dan
Farmer, Lutz Kretzschmar, (hey, Xander, were you in that one?) and some
other early Team members but I no longer have the image :( I do remember one
instance a few years ago on CompuServe when things somehow took a silly turn
and one of the members got us started on that word game (anagrams?) that
took the letters that form "Persistence of Vision" and used them to spell
other words and phrases. It proceeded to go from amusing to extremely
outrageous (not suitable for viewing by children or those offended by the
mention of body parts!). It was quite hilarious and I wish I had saved those
posts before my old machines died.

--
Alan
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get