POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : lenses, light and photons : lenses, light and photons Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  lenses, light and photons
From: Philip Bartol
Date: 24 Aug 1999 10:16:04
Message: <37c2a924@news.povray.org>
I've been messing the with fresnel macro for a while, trying to create a round
fresnel lens (rather than a flat one) and have had some problems, mostly in
getting the lens to do what I want... I'm comming to the conclusion that
either:

a) my math is wrong

or

b) this has something to do with how POV handles light....

which brings me to this post.

I'm assuming at this point that the reason there is a photon patch for POV is
that POV doesn't track light, but rather it's effect on other objects (i.e.
reflection).... if this is the case, could that be the reason why when I make
what should be a working fresnel lens and place a light source where I think
it should go the whole lens doesn't light up.

Or could it be that I a) don't have the light in the correct position, b) made
a silly asumption about the focal length, c) don't have a clue what I'm doing,
or d) that I'm trying to have POV do something it just can't do.

I can fake my way around the lens I think, that shouldn't be too big a
problem.... but this whole thing is beginning to fustrate me.

PHIL