POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : How do I animate? : Re: How do I animate? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I animate?
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 23 Aug 1999 05:22:38
Message: <37c10415.42240531@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 09:46:42 -0400, "Greg M. Johnson"
<"gregj;-)56590"@aol.c;-)om> wrote:

>I know how to animate using the POVRAY.INI file.  The problem is that I
>have one file that I want to ONLY RUN ONCE!!!!! as it generates my INC
>of positions for my animation.  Then I have a file that I want to run
>several times as it ticks through the frames.
>
>Twice this morning, I have forgotten to edit my POVRAY.INI file back to
>make pov only run more than one frame.  Thus, after a long computation,
>it rewrites the whole thing over from scratch!
>
>Q: Is there someway within the file to set up the number of frames?  Do
>I have to edit POVRAY.INI each time?
>
>The docs again on this issue seem to be preaching to the coders.  >:-p
>I see  phrases that I'm used to editing in my POVRAY.INI file, but no
>indication of where to type or use the phrases.

I'll assume that you're using Windows as you've got INI files - or
that if you're not they work much like thw Windows INI files.

There's been a helpful suggestion re using the clock variable to
determine if the scene needs rendering along the lines of:

#switch (clock)
#case (0)
// First and possibly only pass - proceed
#break
#else
// Oops - we're getting animated - STOP!
fall over here please (this statement can't be parsed and will halt
rendering)
#end

but there's another solution too - multiple sections (named within []
brackets) which can be selected in the "INI Section combo-box" (don't
know if it has a real name) originally positioned under the "New,
Open, Save" toolbar buttons.

For example:

[CD-i 352x288, All noAA]
;Cyclic_Animation=on
Width=352
Height=288
Antialias=Off
Jitter=off
Output_to_File=On
Pre_Frame_Command=
Pre_Frame_Return=
Post_Frame_Command=
Post_Frame_Return=
Post_Scene_Command=
Post_Scene_Return=f                 ;;If error, crash
Pause_When_Done=Off
Continue_Trace=On                ;;Lets you resume
Test_Abort=On                    ;;Lets you interrupt
Initial_Frame = 0
Final_Frame = 899
Initial_Clock = 0.0
Final_Clock = 899
Quality=9
;Set automatic bounding to work on 5 objects or more (default is 25 or
more)
+MB5

[CD-i 352x288, 11 noAA]
;Cyclic_Animation=on
Width=352
Height=288
Antialias=Off
Jitter=off
Output_to_File=On
Pre_Frame_Command=
Pre_Frame_Return=
Post_Frame_Command=
Post_Frame_Return=
Post_Scene_Command=
Post_Scene_Return=f                 ;;If error, crash
Pause_When_Done=Off
Continue_Trace=On                ;;Lets you resume
Test_Abort=On                    ;;Lets you interrupt
Initial_Frame = 13
Final_Frame = 100
Initial_Clock = 13
Final_Clock = 100
Quality=9
;Set automatic bounding to work on 5 objects or more (default is 25 or
more)
+MB5

You could set up your preferred animating and non-animating INI
sections into one (probably largish) INI file that way - I've a slew
of settings for the one animation my life seems to revolve around...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman