POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Tips on huge numbers of reoriented bicubics : Re: Tips on huge numbers of reoriented bicubics Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tips on huge numbers of reoriented bicubics
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 23 Aug 1999 05:22:37
Message: <37c10391.42108149@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:42:22 -0400, "Greg M. Johnson"
<"gregj;-)56590"@aol.c;-)om> wrote:

>I have had success making INC files with a hundred primitives moving in
>various flocking algorithms.   When I tried to replace the primitives
>with an sPatch-modelled craft, my HDD swapped like the dickens upon
>tracing.   I had 12 800 objects and I have 256 MB RAM.  Apparently, my
>craft has 128 patches.
>
>Have I just plain hit a resource wall?  Is there any trick to make it
>less resource intensive: order of reorient vs. translate, avoid scaling,
>bicubic settings, BOUNDING, etc.???

128 patches doesn't sound too bad. Can we see some code? For example,
you do parse the patches just once and then create the instances of
the object with something like:

object { MySpaceship rotate <MyRotX,MyRotY,MyRotZ> translate ... }

don't you?

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/