POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Tips on huge numbers of reoriented bicubics : Tips on huge numbers of reoriented bicubics Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:21 EDT (-0400)
  Tips on huge numbers of reoriented bicubics
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 22 Aug 1999 11:15:28
Message: <37c01410@news.povray.org>
I have had success making INC files with a hundred primitives moving in
various flocking algorithms.   When I tried to replace the primitives
with an sPatch-modelled craft, my HDD swapped like the dickens upon
tracing.   I had 12 800 objects and I have 256 MB RAM.  Apparently, my
craft has 128 patches.

Have I just plain hit a resource wall?  Is there any trick to make it
less resource intensive: order of reorient vs. translate, avoid scaling,
bicubic settings, BOUNDING, etc.???