POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Sphere only rotates 50% : Re: Sphere only rotates 50% Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere only rotates 50%
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 18 Aug 1999 21:13:56
Message: <37bb5a54@news.povray.org>
Chuck Roberts <rob### [at] accnorg> wrote :
> I'm using POV 3.1g with the Autoclk macro. I have a rotating planet that
> only rotates 50% of the way around. I want to make an animation loop so
> this will rotate 100% of the way around and then continue. How come this
> won't rotate all the way around?
>
> sphere
> {<0,0,0> 1

>   rotate
>     From (0, <45, 0, 0>)  // (start_time, <start_values>)
>     Using ( "", 1, 1, "")
>     To (4, <45, 720, 0> ) // (end_time, <end_values>)
> }

I would suspect the reason is the 4 you are using in the To () value: this
means the planet will make two full rotations by the time POV-Ray's clock
value reaches four (and it's not too hard to see that works out to one half
rotation at clock = 1...).  If you've used the four because you want to use
other than POV-Ray's default normalised clock, then you will have to change
your command line settings (+KF4, I believe).

To avoid having to do this every time you want to render the animation, I
would usually suggest keeping to the 0 to 1 range and fitting your animation
sequences into this.  If you wanted to think of the animation in, say,
seconds rather than clock units, you could use some simple conversion
constants, eg:

   #declare Sec = 1/4; // Four seconds between clock = 0 and clock = 1

   From (0*Sec, <45, 0, 0>)  To (4*Sec, <45, 720, 0>)