POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Art of POV-Ray : Re: The Art of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Art of POV-Ray
From: David Wilkinson
Date: 15 Aug 1999 17:12:08
Message: <37bb2cdd.25651187@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:28:56 -0400, "Bill DeWitt" <the### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>I was just wondering about how folk like to use POV-Ray. I can see from the
>various works posted that there are several camps, the realism camp, the
>humaniform camp, the abstract and the fractal camps, but I wonder if these
>are more a response to what is seen as acceptable than a native tendency in
>the people who inhabit those camps.

<snip>

>In other words, and in closing, is the Art of POV-Ray being molded by
>technology, competitions, the artists or something else?

Perhaps the best thing about POV-Ray is the diversity of uses to which it can be put.
This gives everyone a chance to contribute something which is unique.  Yes, perhaps
techniques dominate these news groups, but the artists have their say and are widely
respected.

Many of us have feet in more than one camp; in my case I like trying to recreate
realistic
engineering artifacts, but I am also fascinated in being able to create an interesting
image from a piece of math.  I would like to be able to create something more artistic
and
perhaps, someday, who knows.

So the answer is that with this multi-cultural, multi-national group of people pushing
away at different aspects of POV, the topic is growing in many directions at the same
time.  The only guiding forces are the motivation of a large group of dissimilar
people -
their curiosity, competition with peers, urge to be recognised and accepted - and all
subject to the rapidly changing constraints of software and hardware.

What makes it really unique, however, is that we can all readily see what everyone
else is
doing, we can  contribute ideas, comment, argue, fall out, or even have a
philosophical,
time-wasting discussion --- curses! Must press on with my IRTC submission or my rivals
will get there first.

David
dav### [at] cwcomnet
http://www.hamiltonite.mcmail.com