POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Art of POV-Ray : Re: The Art of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Art of POV-Ray
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 16 Aug 1999 15:30:41
Message: <37b866e1@news.povray.org>
Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote :

> In stead of camps I was more thinking about goals one has: experiments,
realism,
> learning, entertainment/storytelling, technics.
> I know most people have more then one interest in POV and the subjects
seem to
> come in waves, probably because of people reacting on each other. It's a
pity
> some of the contributions are a bit ignored, simply because they seem to
fall
> too far outside the mainstream of interest. The occasional "cool!" and
that's
> it. Most of the times those are the pictures that seem to be most
interesting

    Very much what I was thinking. And cogently expressed to boot!

    I was told, as an aspiring Science Fiction Writer, that one could have
as many aliens as one wants, but one must always include a human if one
wants to sell the story. Not because publishers are short of vision, but
because -readers- want to relate to the story.

    This (and this is not a knock of poser or any other human modeler),
explains why so many people strive for  a human likeness in 3D... the desire
to be able to relate to the image, to put a human emotion into the scene.
Even images without humans in it almost require some form of humanistic
process. Witness Alberto's "Mystery" (p.b.i)which -cries- for a man made
pedestal. Without the pedestal there is no size, it could be a diatom or the
result of an exploding Galaxy. With the pedestal it becomes a prized
possession of a human, something either made by a humanistic creature, or
something found and displayed by one.

    In other words, there is a story. With "Mystery" we don't know what the
story is, but we are sure that there is one and that it is one we can relate
to, in fact, we may supply one at first glance. I almost immediately thought
of a craftsman working in a freezer with scrapers and a warm wet sponge, of
a display room kept at -20, and of a very rich man who feels the money was
worth it. Your story may be different and the real story may dissatisfy us
both, but the thing is that there -is- a story... or -maybe- we wouldn't
like the image as much, no matter how groovy it is...

Bill "Still waiting for that long render" DeWitt