POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focal blur confidence : Re: Focal blur confidence Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal blur confidence
From: Bernd M  Jordan
Date: 11 Aug 1999 10:25:49
Message: <37b187ed@news.povray.org>
Ok guys,

Now that you have fought for a while (and provided me with some amusing
reading) I would like to comment on your war of words.

I am probably one of those hated outsiders because I am using Outlook
Express as a newsreader. I admit to occasional use of Netscape's newsreader
(now in version 4.61). Perhaps that alone disqualifies me from partaking in
this thread but I take my chances.

I also noticed that a few posters use VCards. They show up as a little icon
identifying them immediately as a VCard. So unless I want to get additional
info about the guy who posted I simply ignore them. Actually, my newsreaders
are smart enough to identify the type of attachment.

As far as sigs are concerned I usually ignore them too. Some are really
funny but after a while ... well, let's skip that. Oh, the ones that are
supposed to resemble something and use all those funny characters are the
worst because unless you use a typewriter font they appear just like
garbage.

One thing that struck me while following the discussion (which, btw, is
really way off topic) is that some of you use a newsreader from the old
times, i.e. when the net was used only by students and other members of the
mental elite. Yet, all of you cannot wait until a new version of PoV-Ray
comes out. That IMHO is schizophrenic.

I think if you want to use your newsreader of choice and it cannot process
certain data in a way you like you either have to accept that or do
something about your application. The net is a place where people can meet
without prejudice or bias, irrespective of sex, color, belief or OS and
newsreader for that matter. And whatnot.

BTW, I am annoyed by the fact that people post huge files w/o letting me
know how large they are. So I only find out after the fact that it takes
ages to download over a phone line. Obviously, the posters have fast
Internet access or are a lot more patient than I am. Yet, I do not flame
them or ask them to not post or use a smaller resolution for their images or
do this and do that. They have a choice of medium and so do I.

Take care, guys. This newsgroup would not be what it is without you and your
contributions!

.....Opinions are my own....
Bernd M. Jordan