POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focal blur confidence : Re: Focal blur confidence Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:16:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focal blur confidence
From: Ron Parker
Date: 11 Aug 1999 09:21:10
Message: <37b178c6@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:58:00 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
>--------------8CE1C261FF06580E281FB01C
>
>Ron Parker wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:39:47 -0400, Matt Giwer <mgi### [at] giwersworldorg> wrote:
>
>> >       That confirms TIN being a primitive newreader.
>
>> No, it confirms that Netscape and Microsoft wouldn't recognize the relevant RFC
>> if it was crammed up their collective asses one page at a time.  Any decent
>> newsreader has the same problem with vcards.
>
>	I am unaware NS and MS being thrown off the RFC committees for
>failure to comply.

There is no RFC committee.  There never was.  There never will be.  And neither
Netscape nor Microsoft would care anyway, as they're too busy carving out
"market share" to want to bother with standards.

>> >       So now the polite request is to switch modes depending upon
>> >which newsgroup?
>
>> No, the polite request is and has been to ditch the vcard.  Only other Netscape
>> users can make any use of it, and it conveys no additional useful information.
>
>	Did I miss that post? Can you direct me to it?

That would be the one where Warp said "get rid of the vcard crap."

>	Scoring posts, now that appears to be a useful one. If slrn is
>to great it has the ability to filter. Use it. No difference to
>me.

Works for me.  Welcome to my killfile.  If it seems lonely, that's because
it is.  The only company you'll have in there is a few threads, because
none of the other people on here have been stupid enough to end up there.

>	As to three people it annoys and for the math guy in you, that
>is (users<sub>tot</sub> - 3) who are at least polite enough to
>deal with the world as it is. Is that number significantly
>different from (users<sub>tot</sub> - 1)?

Ugh.  HTML to do math.  When will it end?  Everyone knows you use TeX to
do math. :)  I should point out that the four (I was mistaken) users who
have objected to vcards are among the most prolific posters and helpful
people on this server.  I would have thought their opinion was worth
something to you.

>	You folks are really insisting upon a pissing contest to waste
>disk space. Why is it so important to you?

Because we'd like to be able to read your posts.  Well, everyone but
me anyway.  I couldn't care less at this point.