POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Two mesh bugs found in povwin 3.1g : Re: Two mesh bugs found in povwin 3.1g Server Time
23 Jun 2024 16:03:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two mesh bugs found in povwin 3.1g
From: Ron Parker
Date: 7 Aug 1999 23:24:53
Message: <37acf733.34458422@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:20:55 -0400, John VanSickle
<van### [at] erolscom> wrote:

>This first bug is the failure of individually-textured triangles
>to texture properly when the mesh that they are a part of is
>transformed.  Quite simply, the texture is *not* transformed along
>with the mesh.

This is a scary side-effect of the fact that the same instance of
the texture is shared by all triangles it is referenced in.
Unfortunately, the transformation that is to be applied to a
texture is a part of the texture itself, so you clearly couldn't
just transform such textures at parse time.  They need to be
transformed at render time, which is not exactly a walk in the
park given how things are put together.  It can be done, though.

>The other bug causes a crash when all of the following are true:
>
>1.  A mesh has triangles with individually-assigned textures.
>2.  Those textures use a pattern in their pigment.
>3.  No color_map is specified for the pigment.

This is another case of Post_Texture not getting called.  Post_Pigment
is responsible for setting a default color_map when one hasn't been
applied, but it isn't called for mesh textures.  I haven't
investigated the ramifications of calling it twice for the same
instance of a texture.  If that is safe, then the fix would be
trivial.  If not, it would be straightforward to make textures carry a
flag stating whether they had been already posted.