POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Allocating further than 128 to POV : Re: Allocating further than 128 to POV Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:47:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Allocating further than 128 to POV
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Aug 1999 15:43:19
Message: <37a897d7@news.povray.org>
In article <1dw### [at] st-etienne-3-4club-internetfr> ,
jl_### [at] club-internetfr (Jean-Luc Peuriere) wrote:

> I have some problems when allocating memory to POV where it breaks the
> first 128 Mo (ie when system + pov memory > 128 Mo).
> Pov crashes with error 1 or 2 or hang the system.
>
> test files concerned are memory hogs (+45 000 objects, mostly cylinders
> and cones), but if I reduce number of object to come under the 128 Mo
> limit (global not pov), it works.
>
> this is true since first 3.0 version, but when I make a custom
> compilation with MPW, it works well.
>
> So it seems that it is an Adressing space problem.
>
> (MacOs 8.1 fr, 8600 PowerMac 192 Mo memory)
>
> Does anyone encounters same problems ?

No, just weak memory management of the CodeWarrior libraries, it has nothing
to do with 128 MB, depending on the scene you will find such a problem with
20 MB or with 500 MB. Did you try 3.1g.r1 yet? It can reduce such problems
as well.   3.5 will likely have a custom memory management system to
eliminate the problems once and for all.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.