POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Looking for stereopair->HF software : Re: Looking for stereopair->HF software Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for stereopair->HF software
From: Ron Parker
Date: 4 Aug 1999 09:10:23
Message: <37a83bbf@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 03 Aug 1999 18:50:22 -0700, Ken wrote:

>Ron Parker wrote:
>>
>> Hey, Unka Ken (or anyone else).
>>
>> I find myself in need of software that can take a stereo pair and generate
>> a credible heightfield from it.  It doesn't have to be perfect; I expect to
>> have to do some editing.  I know such software exists, because it's used to
>> create DEMs, but I've never seen any available to the public.  If anyone
>> knows of such software, particularly if it's free, please please let me
>> know.  Thanks!
>
>Unka Ken gotta no clue. Neer heara such a thinga that. Whatcha wanna for anyway ?

You can't see thousands of uses for it just off the top of your head?  I
actually found one example of such software, but of course it's an expensive
high-end GIS package.  Its official use is to take two or more aerial
photographs and generate a DEM from them, which could then be used as a
heightfield in POV or for more sophisticated uses in watershed analysis or
other high-minded environmental pursuits.  My goal is somewhat more
pedestrian: I have a friend who teaches earth science to seventh-graders.
One of their favorite projects is the one where they build clay mountains,
then submerge them to various depths and draw the contour lines.  I was
looking for free or inexpensive software that could be used with a digital
camera to automate the process, so they can see how it's done in the digital
age.  I figured that if such a thing existed, one or more of you 3d guys
would know where to find it.  Unfortunately, I'm beginning to  believe that
there is no such thing after all.