POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Working with Text : SoftText- 'Objections- to It Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  SoftText- 'Objections- to It
From: Matt Swarm
Date: 3 Aug 1999 19:42:05
Message: <37a77e4d@news.povray.org>
Can't see why anyone would 'object' to the program, unless on the grounds
that one is making use of the intellectual property of another in the data.

But since fonts are actually meant to be USED, this argument gets a bit
thin.  Legally, if the creator of a font knew the font data was used
initially- but the result looked nothing like the font after processing-
there would be few grounds for action.  The original data has become little
more than 'inspiration.'

BTW, Mr. Whipple is a old character-- making a comeback-- on American
commercial ads.   He specialty was squeezing soft toilet tissue.

Matt

>Normally I do so if I know the program is meant to be used on other systems
then
>just mine. This was something I made because I needed it for some things
and
>when the subject of using text in POV came up I thought it might be a
friendly
>idea to share it. Some people seem to object but I still hope (and know)
there