POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height Field Data : Re: Height Field Data Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field Data
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Aug 1999 10:06:42
Message: <37a5a5f2@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:18:19 -0700, David Vincent-Jones wrote:
>I am trying to convert 7.5' SDTS elevation data from
>the USGS site and have used the SDTSEPOV.EXE
>converter from BLM without any success.
>This should give a Targa (POV) output file
>Keep getting error messages "Error reading data record subfield"
>Anybody had a similar problem?

One possibility is that you inadvertantly used a program like
WinZIP that thinks the file it's unzipping is text.  ISO 8211
looks superficially text-like, but there is some binary data
after the headers, so "intelligent" unzippers will tend to mung
the coordinate data by converting line endings.

(Oh, God, I thought I'd never have to think about SDTS again.
Unclean! Unclean!)