POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Twysted.net : Twysted.net Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Twysted.net
From: Twyst
Date: 31 Jul 1999 03:47:15
Message: <37a2aa03@news.povray.org>
Well, I'm currently working on restarting twysted.net

After problems with webservers, work, and other fun stuff, I'm gonna give it
a whirl again.

some of the thoughts I'm working on are thus:

1) Use Macromedia Flash 3/4
    - there are reasons for this:
        - almost universal in scope (I know of linux, Mac, and windows
versions)
        - free CGI app that can change flash files dynamically
(www.swift-tools.com)
        - Small size and bandwidth.
        - Removes screen size limits, as it scales auto-magically.

2) Customizability.
    -I'd like to make it somewhat like slashdot in terms of a sidebar that
you can customize to whatever you like. This means a free membership kind of
thing.

3) Content
    - Well, I'd like to get more content than I had before. I'd like to have
such things as:
            - Monthly/Weekly reviews (for more than just win/dos)
            - Tutorials (More than just links - actual tutorials written by
me or someone on the twysted.net staff (See below for this) )
            - Macros, Includes, Objects, Patches, Textures, etc. in a less
fragmented fashion.
            - links galore. (Like I'll ever catch up to Ken.... )
            - User submitted gallery - with web submission and possibly a
user-voted Hall of Fame..

4) Staff
    - To do much of this, I need staff. I need people willing to write
reviews for software ( I only have access to Win and Dos, really) , people
to write articles and tutorials, etc. Sadly, there isn't that much I can
offer as incentive for this. I can give you a fancy twysted.net email addy,
a twysted.net subdomain, etc. Not a whole lot, as I don't make money doing
this.

5) Advertising
    - I may have to put (shudder) banners on the page, to help pay for some
of it. ones I am looking at are: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. I plan on
trying to keep it topical to raytracing, or at least graphics.

6) Separation of the files and the rest of the site
    - I'm setting up files.twysted.net as a simple file storage, on a slower
server, in order to keep my bandwidth down (4 Gigs a month comes to a HEFTY
bill. )

Thoughts? Comments? Offers for help?

Twyst