POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Oficina '99 : Re: Oficina '99 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oficina '99
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 Oct 1999 04:34:29
Message: <37F9B8DB.8138F2A4@inapg.inra.fr>
Actually I gave a few lectures and demonstrations about Povray in the last
years and didn't have this kind of problem, even with CG professionals. I've
also received more than encouraging emails from people working in CG companies
(software, games,  movies) who may have been a little bored with their usual
professional fare. Perhaps this was due to the fact that I put the emphasis on
the artistical possibilities of povray and not on its value as a 3DS or Maya
competitor. Most of the people who use professional software use it as a tool
that allows them to work fast and make money, so it's no surprise they don't
really care about amateur tools. It's a little like asking a professional
truck driver what he/she thinks of your beautiful 50's vintage car in terms of
trucking performance : he/she may despise it as a professional vehicle, and
like it anyway because it's a cool car. In the same way, a CG professional may
not care about povray as a 3D programme and yet enjoy your povray output
because of its artistical merit (and sometimes be impressed by the fact that
it was done with something 100% free).

Gilles Tran