POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images : Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images
From: Mike
Date: 27 Sep 1999 14:42:18
Message: <37EFB87E.9E7FF1E9@aol.com>
> The problem is that it seems that some images comes from non-US people
> (Nathan O'Brien, myself,...), and while it is clear that they did
> something
> wrong, suing them from here is not an easy matter.

Are any of the images by people in the US?  I find it interesting that whenever
any of these things comes up, I'm not one of the artists being ripped off.

I don't think anyone should make excuses for this publisher.  What they did is
blatent copyright infringement.  There's no other way an artists can be ripped
off when it comes to still images, other than perhaps a billboard ad.  There
are standard fees in this industry for the use of images, and they should have
sought out the artists and made agreements to use the images and provide
compensation.  I know for magazines it used to be $50 for B&W images and $100
or so for color.  I would think books would have similiar fees.

I understand why some people would feel honored to be published in a book, but
when you stop and think about what's really going on you can't help feel
robbed.  Would the author(s) of that book feel honored if you copied every page
into a word processor and started selling copies of the book yourself?  Imagine
what this world would be like if everyone gave the same amount of credit to the
work people do as so many do to the work an artist puts into his/her work.

I've never had to deal with this situation (yet), but if it happened to me I
would be making a huge stink about it.

-Mike