POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to avoid repeated parsing? : Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing?
From: Charles
Date: 22 Sep 1999 19:55:24
Message: <37E96C75.99FEBDF0@enter.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> Or, using the syntax I proposed,
>
> #static (start, end)
> #include "filename"
> #end

True. Three lines instead of one isn't going to make a significant
difference to parsing, although it's slightly more trouble to type,
so the above would give almost identical results -- *if* the end
user applies it correctly.

I only mentioned it as a supplement to #include (analogous to the
way #local is a specialized supplement to #declare) because problems
with making it a #static block were brought up. As an alternative
to #include, there'd be no block, and users would have to
externalize the static info to a separate file because... that's
just the way it works.

Whereas, if you require the user to set up a #static block with an
embedded #include in it, sure as there's rain you'll have people
who skip the #include and just stuff hundreds of lines of code
between #static and its corresponding #end and complain that it
isn't making the kind of difference they think it ought to (and
Warp will have to add something new to the VFAQ). As much as I
hate "protect them from their own stupidity" style programming...

Well, I'm a scene coder, not a programmer. I only mention it
in passing, FWIW.

Charles
--
http://www.enter.net/~cfusner
"...Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time,