POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to avoid repeated parsing? : Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing?
From: Tomas Plachetka
Date: 21 Sep 1999 13:50:26
Message: <37E7C55B.1081F62A@uni-paderborn.de>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:24:40 +0200, Tomas Plachetka wrote:
> >Now I can't think of a better example...
> >Uhm. Never mind, I have a more conceptual question:
> >How do you define an object which is defined in the
> >second frame (or 51th frame if you want) and does
> >not change (persists) till the end of the animation?
> >I think you cannot. (Nor can I.) In other words,
> >#static will not allow you to insert any static objects
> >in any other frame except of the first one. Right?
>
> Right.  Presumably you could extend it to #static (start,end)
> which would mean the contents of the block are static for clock
> values between start and end.

That's it. Then why not having simply #if (start, end)?
Let the POV-Ray decide what persists and for how long.
This would also save one keyword. However, when nesting
#if with #if(start, end), one could get in troubles. To
avoid this, you have to carefully restrict usage of
#if(start, end).

Note that the above arguments apply to #static(start,end),
too.

	y.