POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to avoid repeated parsing? : Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing?
From: Tomas Plachetka
Date: 21 Sep 1999 12:24:47
Message: <37E7B148.A2343E4@uni-paderborn.de>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:12:16 +0200, Tomas Plachetka wrote:
> >Well, if such a thing were really to be implemented, then
> >I would suggest #endstatic instead of just #end.
> >Using #end as a common construct terminator could lead to
> >nesting problems, especially if several such contructs
> >are needed in the future.
>
> But #static is just a fancy way of saying "#if (this_is_the_first_parse)",
> so it nests perfectly with other #ifs.  It has to, because otherwise you'll
> hit an unmatched #end or an unmatched #if the second time you parse the file.
> Unless you're thinking about something horrible like this
>
> #static
>   #if (0)
> #endstatic
>    object {wristband}
> #static
>   #end
> #endstatic
>
> to make the mat object only appear in frames after the first one. (does that
> make it an antistatic mat?)  But that's a horrible, horrible corruption of
> the purpose of #static (and wouldn't scale to multiple processors working on
> the same animation.)

Now I can't think of a better example...
Uhm. Never mind, I have a more conceptual question:
How do you define an object which is defined in the
second frame (or 51th frame if you want) and does
not change (persists) till the end of the animation?
I think you cannot. (Nor can I.) In other words,
#static will not allow you to insert any static objects
in any other frame except of the first one. Right?

	y.