POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to avoid repeated parsing? : Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing?
From: Tomas Plachetka
Date: 21 Sep 1999 05:12:34
Message: <37E74BF0.2982877B@uni-paderborn.de>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 07:07:47 +0930, PoD <pod### [at] merlinnetau> wrote:
>
> >how about a static block i.e.
> >static{
> >}
>
> I prefer the syntax
>
> #static
> #end
>
> because block syntax is currently restricted to actual entities, and
> #-directives are used for procedural and flow-control things.

Well, if such a thing were really to be implemented, then
I would suggest #endstatic instead of just #end.
Using #end as a common construct terminator could lead to
nesting problems, especially if several such contructs
are needed in the future.

The current #if, #while, #ifdef, etc directives are safe
about using a common #end terminator as there is a simple
nesting rule. However, this simplicity could be violated
when adding new constructs like this. Using special
constructs for specials is perhaps better than using
special semantics for specials. (Wow, what a sentence.)

	y.