POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to avoid repeated parsing? : Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing?
From: Mike
Date: 17 Sep 1999 04:43:37
Message: <37E1FD31.61D49939@aol.com>
> I agree, in the animation case.  I've long thought about how to modify
> POV so it only parses the static parts of a scene once.  It would
> definitely be nice if you could somehow say "The whole scene is
> static, so only reparse the camera definition for each frame."
>
> Of course, even that would be difficult to achieve if you're using any
> kind of complex camera motion, such as Colefax's splines.

That sounds feasable to me, provided that special case is made.  You know how
POV-Ray allows one atmospheric media?  Maybe you could allow one static {}
block...
I guess the problem is when does POV release the stuff that is in
memory...unless you went so far as to add a keyword to tell it to do so.  Like
#if (clock = 100) clear_memory

Seems to me that things could get messy though.  Until recently there were all
those global variables that weren't getting cleared (I wouldn't doubt there are
still some).  Now that I think about, that kinda' shows how it could be done -
since POV in the windows version is running from the time you start it, then if
the parsed scene wasn't freed it would be used the next time you
render...assuming you didn't try writing stuff to the same areas in memory.

I really don't know enough about how it manages memory or parses or...just about
everything, so I guess I'm not one to talk.

-Mike