POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov User Database : Re: English data protection law Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: English data protection law
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 13 Sep 1999 10:43:47
Message: <37DD0D96.4BDE76FC@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
GRedway wrote:

> As far as I can gather the privacy laws only apply to the country in
> which the website is held and any person who uses this site assumes the
> law of the nation applying them.
> The Data Protection Act, 1989 (England) as it stands requires the
> knowledge of the person whose data is being held on computer, this could
> be included in a small disclamier, as long as the user knows his/her
> data is being held on compueter it is not a problem (this could be
> included in a disclaimer - the user hitting the 'submit' button
> acknowledges the disclamier and agrees to it.
>
>         Graham Redway

<...>

Just a shorty on that, the english law enforcement doesn't go that way.
I just read recently about an english webmaster being sued for the
things he had on his server on the bahamas (or somewhere around there).
Don't know how this relates to privacy, but the applicable laws are
getting more and more, just ask Mr. Pinochet about it ;-)

Axel