POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modellers : Re: Modellers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modellers
From: Larry Fontaine
Date: 8 Sep 1999 23:20:08
Message: <37D725C6.67A12495@isd.net>
>   There is more to the modeller issue than simply the lack of textual
> interface. Scenes created in a modeller are often wire frame only.
> When the scene reaches a certain level of complexity all the overlapping
> wire frames makes it difficult to visualize all of the elements in the
> scene due to clutter.
>  Additionally where POV-Ray is concerned there is no one single modeller
> that supports every function and option that Pov offers. This limits
> your creativity because of the limited support. Another issue is that
> many people such as myself are still using small screen monitors. It
> is difficult to work in a modelling environment with a small monitor.
> There are many other arguments I could go into but the lack of a textual
> interface is only one of the issues at hand.

What would really be cool is a Direct3D / OpenGL texture-preview
recursion/macro-supporting modeller :-) Of course, then it would cost $10000
to register...

>   You will also note a certain amount of Pov snobbery involved with
> them that write their pov scenes in a text only environment. Kind
> of a "I'm better that you cause I don't need no stinking modelling
> program" type or mentality. This of course has about as much validity
> as the DOS vs. Windows wars of a few years ago as to which is better
> to work in. So I say different strokes for different folks and leave
> it at that. Work in whatever environment that makes you the most
> productive and ignore any peer pressure you may feel.

Yes, some people do that. Personally, I think even if someone says "I'm
better", and even if it's true, it means nothing because everybody is at a
different ability level in different areas and chances are you're better than
them at a lot of stuff. Although I reserve my right to mock Joey Adams, the
kid whose favorite words are b*tch, f*ck and c*nt, thinks anything cylindrical
is a dildo, has absolutely no social skills and an IQ of at most 5. And if you
try to ignore him, he'll repeat himself over and over and follow you around
until you yell, "SHUT UP, YOU PERVERT!! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT *****!!"
(lack of social skills evident here)