POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Fading Normals : Fading Normals Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Fading Normals
From: Josh Franklin
Date: 8 Sep 1999 22:01:44
Message: <37D714C8.410A1FBC@yahoo.com>
Hi,

I'm trying to create a ripple effect. The ripple normal looks great for
my scene with a little tweaking, but there is one problem, I only want
one set of ripples that slowly dies down. I've tried using

normal {
 gradient (x*x) + (z*z) //keeps a circular shape rather than a square
 normal_map {
	[0.0 ripples 1]
	[1.0 ripples 0]   //problem is that this repeats whole thing
 }
}

that's not excatly it, but it gives you the gist of what I'm doing. I
want to know if there is a way I can get this effect by trying something
like this (which doesn't work):

normal { ripples (1/x) }

where the x is x location of the texture.

If anyone knows anyway to accomplish what I want, thanks in advance.

-Josh