POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Food for thought... : Re: Food for thought... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Food for thought...
From: Ken
Date: 8 Sep 1999 18:39:52
Message: <37D6E546.AA748432@pacbell.net>
"Mr. Art" wrote:

> Ken, If you get a chance to take a break, go/come to Alaska.
> The skies maybe cloudy but almost _never_  gray, brown, green
> or other unique colors. Well, except for the time that volcano want off.....
>
> Mr. Art

  I have visited Alaska for three weeks in the month of August. The sky there
was if anything too perfect except for perhaps two days of drizzle during the
middle of the trip. I also lived in Colorado for 4 years which in my opinion
had similar skies as those in Alaska save for the northern lights you all get
up there that away.
  Here in So. Cal near the coast when we don't have brown smoggy skies we have
nearly white skies because of coastal haze and blue skies are a rare luxury. To
see blue you have to look nearly straight up because the horizon is always hazy.
The native American indians who inhabited the land here before the European
invasion called this the "valley of the smokes" because of the continuous haziness
of the skies here. Automobiles just changed the color of it but not the texture.
  The only exception to the cloudy sky scenario is just after a major storm
system passes through and we have a strong onshore flow of air. Occasionally the
famed Santa Ana winds that blow in from the deserts will blow the smog and haze
out to sea but usually there is a dust haze associated with this event so it
cannot be relied upon to cure the haziness problem we live with here.
  Regardless living here makes for very boring skies when rendered in all but
the most rare cases.

  I do recall though that one of the penalties with living in Alaska were all
of them pesky mosquitoes and noseeums that get at your skin no matter how well
protected you think you are.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: