POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Rounding off edges : Re: Rounding off edges Server Time
9 May 2024 22:57:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rounding off edges
From: Larry Fontaine
Date: 7 Sep 1999 17:49:05
Message: <37D586AE.EA530F6A@isd.net>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In addition to what the others have said, don't forget the torus shape.
> IMO, it is under-used. You can easily make a rounded cylinder which
> renders faster than an equivalent superellipsoid.(a macro for this is
> included in my macro collection in povray.binaries.utilities, and a
> version for cones will probably be in the next version. Ken, would you
> post this one for me too? This time I will make both Mac and PC text
> versions, for those who don't know how to convert.)

Just to point out, a rounded box made by ellipsoid and one made by
cylinder-sphere-box aren't the same shape. In what appears to be the flat
surfaces of a superellipsoid, it is actually like a very very very short
pyramid stuck on the cube. Also, non-ellipsoid object are much more
versatile, because you can have it any size, not just 2x2x2, and have the
same ammount of rounding-off on every edge.