POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I model a plastic bin? : Re: How do I model a plastic bin? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:10:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I model a plastic bin?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 6 Sep 1999 01:35:17
Message: <37D352DB.7D72@unforgettable.com>
John M. Dlugosz wrote:

> I'm thinking of a "bin" that is sort of like an open-top box, but one side
> is lower and tipped forward, so
> it's easy to grab stuff if it's sitting on a shelf.
>
> I don't want sharp angles like it's made of 5 flat slabs.  A real plastic
> bin has rounded edges.  Since one of the faces is at an angle, how might I
> do that?

Hmm, what are those things called that look like rounded-off cubes?
Super-something?

Well, anyway, if you can use those in CSG, then your problem is solved:
Add a tilted one to a straight one, cut off the top at an angle, and
subtract a smaller version from it to make it hollow inside.

Alternatively, you can get the same effect using boxes, cylinders, and
spheres. Your CSG code will be a bit more complex, though.

-Xplo