POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media once, media twice, media once again : Re: Media once, media twice, media once again Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media once, media twice, media once again
From: Ken
Date: 5 Sep 1999 09:12:12
Message: <37D26BCF.79A83A35@pacbell.net>
Matt Giwer wrote:

>         But it has not been a long time.
>
>         A nutshell. I have copied scattering media parameters from
> scenes where it works well as in light coming in a window. I have
> tried to obtain exactly the "lit fog" we have all seen around
> street lights and such. It does not work.
>
>         I am about of the opinion that whatever this media is, it is not
> what we would expect it to be from experience with this very
> unsatisfactory reality of ours. I expect to see a halo around the
> light source. I get the entire scene "lit" which is fine for fog
> but I don't get the halo around the light source.
>
>         An interesting addition but still not what at least I am looking
> for.

If you want a halo contained within a specific area think about placing
it into a container instead of filling the entire scene area with media.
I would suggest that you use two light sources withing your lamp. One
a point light with fade distance and fade power specified to limit
the area of radiation. This will give you the ability to fade the halo's
influence outwardly to make it appear to deminish. The second a spotlight
to add the cone of light one would expect coming from a lightsource. This
last is only useful if you have a lamp with a closed side like street lamps
with refector housings.

Like Peter I too am no master with the use of media and your milage may
vary.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: