POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : lighting help - room edges, area lights, shadows : Re: lighting help - room edges, area lights, shadows Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: lighting help - room edges, area lights, shadows
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 3 Sep 1999 22:18:11
Message: <37D081A4.5877@unforgettable.com>
John M. Dlugosz wrote:

> Xplo Eristotle <inq### [at] unforgettablecom> wrote in message
> news:37C### [at] unforgettablecom...
>
> > Well, it's supposed to be an artist's studio, yes? AFAIK, those tend to
> > be pretty well lit, and not with point light either. You probably want
> > (a) several wide-beam spotlights, similar to track lighting, or a lot of
> > sunlight streaming in through windows. (I can't see it real well, but
> > you appear to have something like a skylight, which isn't going to do
> > the trick.. unless of course you WANTED that.) With that much light, it
> > would be safe to turn down ambient light for the whole scene to 0 and
> > crank up the radiosity, letting what lighting exists flood the room in a
> > more natural manner.
>
> Hmm, the scene is indeed lit from a skylight.  Actually, there is no ceiling
> at all in the model <g>.  I'd put in grids to cast shadows if it was
> visible.
>
> So, given a "natural light" studio, how can it be well-lit other than a
> single point source?  Lots of reflectors to make fill light?  If so, then
> the large area light I already put in is the right idea -- models the large
> white card or whatever he'll have set up.  Would I get the same effect by
> using actual white reflectors and using a radiosity model?

If you're having light coming in through a large aperture, such as a
window or a skylight, using an area light roughly the size of the
aperture (preferably a fairly complex one, if you have the power to
render it) is probably the right way to go. Then, just render it with
the radiosity and see what happens.. it's entirely possible that the
objects in the room (most notably the walls.. real walls reflect a LOT
of light) will provide all the fill light you need/want. Then, if you
still need spot lighting, you can go and add that back in without
changing the overall lighting model very much.

If you wanted to play with white reflectors, you could do it that way as
well; the principle is basically the same, but the numbers won't be,
since your lighting will be different.

-Xplo