POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Helix, spiral : Re: Helix, spiral Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:10:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Helix, spiral
From: Larry Fontaine
Date: 3 Sep 1999 19:02:42
Message: <37D051F9.2ABE8147@isd.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Think Larry's son  : )  means a spiral texture lacking in a center or
> continuation beyond a certain radius.  Try a 'wood' 'texture_map' with
> a clear (or otherwise plain) pigment as both beginning and end
> indecies, the 'spiral1 2'texture at index 0.25 and 0.75, for example.
>  Far as the object itself goes perhaps torus slices, rotated and
> translated. Well you did ask  ; )
>
> Bob
>
> Chris Huff <Chr### [at] compuservecom> wrote in message
> > You could approximate a helix with triangles, but I don't think a
> true
> > helix is possible without the isosurface patch.
> > And I think the spiral pattern will do what you want, it isn't
> really a
> > spiral but a kind of helix.

I used half-torus for the springs in my LEGO auto chassis. The problem is,
unless you skew them, you can only use halves and no smaller or the end
surfaces won't be vertical. And with half-torus, you get close to a helix,
but it's up-close noticible that it's not. However, you can skew in POV,
so maybe that's the way to go.

Also, what about other kinds of helixes/spirals? I mean, you gave a method
for a spring-type of shape, but there's many ways to make a helix, for
example like rotating long boxes to get a spiral-staircase effect. What if
it was a ramp, not stairs, though? Anyways, the math (I'm assuming) should
be fairly easy for any helix, maybe they should put it in the next POV
release as a primitive.