POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Food for thought... : Re: Food for thought... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Food for thought...
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 3 Sep 1999 09:58:06
Message: <37CFD3E1.C7487016@peak.edu.ee>
Ahh, but there's the rub.
These theories basically state this: our definition of reality is empirical.
What a person calls reality is what he perceives with his senses. Therefore, if
you provide this person with complete artificial sensory input, this could
become his reality. In essence, you could put a brain in a jar, attach wires to
feed it sensory impulses, and thus create an alternate world for this solitary
brain.
There's a myriad of books, movies etc. on this subject. You may shrug it off as
paranoid nonsense, but the point is you have no way of disproving it...

So then, prove to me that the leg is real, the person is real and the pain is
real.
Or better yet, prove that YOU are real, "Mr. Tyler" >:)
The opposite becomes more and more credible with the advances in VR, AI and
whatnot...

Margus

Someone get me a bigger jar! <twitch>