POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cones in a box : cones in a box Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  cones in a box
From: Larry Fontaine
Date: 1 Sep 1999 17:03:56
Message: <37CD90C5.D1638CEE@isd.net>
First day of school today. In biology, we had to do a metric measurement
worksheet, and some of the problems involved a rubber stopper shaped
like a clipped cone. The top diameter was 2.2 cm, the bottom diameter
was 2.7 cm, and the non-lateral height was 2.5 cm. One question asked
the volume. Another question asked how many could fit in a box the size
of the biology book, which is 20.65 x 25.5 x 4.5 cm. The instructor
simply divided volume and got 200-some. But this raises an interesting
question: exactly how many clipped cones can fit into a box? I got 110,
my method was a hexagonally-tiled row along the 20.65 cm axis. By having
the upper row flipped from the bottom row, I figured 11 could fit
together without exceeding the height of the book (6 on bottom, 5 on
top). Then 10 of these rows could fit in the 25.5 cm length. That gives
110, but can anybody do more?

For a large enough box, I think the most efficient way is to tile them
in hexagonal layers like cylinders, but have every other row
"upsode-down". Then stack layer upon layer until the box is full. The
top or bottom of each layer would be like so:[Image]

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (2 KB) Download 'c:\windows\temp\nsmailhd.jpeg.jpg' (12 KB)

Preview of image 'c:\windows\temp\nsmailhd.jpeg.jpg'
c:\windows\temp\nsmailhd.jpeg.jpg