POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : metal "swirl" finish : Re: metal "swirl" finish Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: metal "swirl" finish
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 1 Sep 1999 09:18:12
Message: <37CD27D4.1714@unforgettable.com>
John M. Dlugosz wrote:

> I've seen metal plates and surfaces that are covered with polished circles,
> which I assume is due to being formed by a vertical milling machine.
>
> Any idea how I can do that with a texture in POV?

If I understand what you're referring to, I'm thinking that your best
chance at doing this is creating an image (with lots of little circles)
and using it as a normal, then playing with specular to bring out the
high points. To make it look real, though, you'd need to render the
scene at some huge resolution, in order to match the resolving power of
the human eye and preserve the fine detail that the effect calls for.
Otherwise you'd end up with something that was either (a) crude and
unrealistic or (b) just shiny.

-Xplo