POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Oval Shape : Re: Oval Shape Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oval Shape
From: Ken
Date: 31 Aug 1999 13:19:48
Message: <37CC0E78.352544AD@pacbell.net>
Kenny Pyatt wrote:

> This question maybe a simple one to the experts but I can't seem to make
> a simple oval.  I can make a chain link by taking the difference of a
> torus and adding cylinders, I can make a torus.  But I can't figure out
> the way I am supposed to strech the torus into an oval.  Please tell
> me.  I am sure it is simple.
>
> --
> Kenny Pyatt

Uneven scaling is one way to do this. If for example you were looking
through the hole of a torus in front of the camera scale it:

 scale<1, 1.5, 1>

Or try something like this for one link:

camera { location 6*-z  look_at 0}
light_source { 6*-z rgb 1}

#declare Torus_Part =
intersection {
 torus{1,.25 rotate 90*-x}
 plane{y,0}
}

#declare Link =
union{
object{Torus_Part translate y*-.5}
object{Torus_Part rotate 180*x translate y*.5}
cylinder{y*-.5, y*.5, 0.25 translate x*-1}
cylinder{y*-.5, y*.5, 0.25 translate x* 1}
pigment{rgb 1}}

object { Link }

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: