POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Grass/meadow in PovRay? : Re: Grass/meadow in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:09:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass/meadow in PovRay?
From: Ken
Date: 27 Aug 1999 02:18:29
Message: <37C62D7D.595BDC84@pacbell.net>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Felix Pertriconi wrote in message <37C5AF27.6FCA170C@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>...
> >Hi,
> >
> >is there anybody who has found a usable solution for creating
> >grass / meadow in a scene? For greater distance everything
> >is easy to handle, but at closer range my only only solution
> >are many many small grass blades.
>
> When I need close-up grass in a scene, I #declare a 1 foot by 1 foot mesh of
> randomly perturbed triangles, and then use as many copies of the mesh as I
> need for the meadow or lawn.  I use boxes with an appropriately scaled jade
> pattern for distant lawn grass, as the short "real" grass and the boxes
> blend together well.  I haven't tried to do anything with grass that is tall
> enough that it curves noticeably, however.
>
> Mark

 I innocently started a grass competition several months ago by posting
an image of grass created using a HF approach. This started a small
flurry of posts by others showing off their techniques. My HF approach
has the bennifit of using the least amount of memery than any other
proceedural process but is more suited for long shots. The method you
described, with and without bent blades, is better suitable for close up
work and several examples have been posted in the scene files groups
on this server.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: