POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS in PovRay? : Re: NURBS in PovRay? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS in PovRay?
From: Mike
Date: 26 Aug 1999 22:18:52
Message: <37C5F39E.48D70891@aol.com>
> All that would be needed is a nurbs tesselater into the pipeline, i haven't looked
at
> the povray code but wouldn't this be how the bicubic patches are handled or is it
> directly rendering the bicubic surface (not tesselating it).

There is a bicubic type 2 option in the superpatch that pseudo-direct renders.  It's
faster than the other methods and uses just a little more memory than type 0.  My
understanding is that NURBS can be reduced to bicubic b-spline patches by inserting
knots to make them uniform.  I looked into doing this myself but the liturature I've
seen on nurbses is way too complex.  Perhaps the problem is trivial if one has the
right resources.

-Mike